Many assemblies are just preparing things for the gathering in 2022, so if you haven’t started yet – don’t lag behind! Here are 10 things you need to know as you prepare to bring a congregation group to the ELCA 2022 youth gathering.
- Use the promotional materials of the gathering to excite your community because of this experience of shaping the faith. We have PowerPoint templates, flyer templates, posters, promotional videos and logos that you can download and use. Invite past participants to share a testimony!
- Download Official Gathering Handbook: Tips and Tricks for Adult Leaders. This resource is full of tips, example vows, deadlines, budgets and more. If you want a printed version, you can buy it from our partners in Old Lutheran.
- Thinking about raising funds to attend a gathering can be daunting. However, from the testimony of young people and adult leaders we know that it pays off completely. Depending on your community guidelines for COVID-19, you may need to adapt and think creatively about how to raise funds. Early in the time of the pandemic, the Gathering gathered the resources of virtual and socially remote fundraisers.
- Connect with your Gathering Coordinator (GSC)! These individuals are trained on all gatherings and are your contact for your synod. You can contact your GSC by sending them an email on the gathering website.
- Sign up and attend webinars before the gathering. The leadership gathering will share what they plan for next summer at these monthly webinars. Visit the gathering site to see recordings of past webinars or sign up for future ones.
- Download preparation materials. This curriculum is designed to introduce your group to everyday gathering topics and to begin socializing.
- There is still financial assistance for young people attending the Gathering. Up to $ 300 per youth participant can be provided with a maximum of 10 youth per congregation. The primary adult leader should apply on behalf of the young person through the application.
- Our team is working diligently on planning to ensure that the 2022 gathering is safe for our participants. All young and adult participants, team members, volunteers, staff and interactive learning partners will be required to provide proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 or proof of a negative COVID-19 test (probably 72 hours prior to arrival). More information on how this information will be provided will come in the spring of 2022.
- The gathering of the leadership continuously monitors the pandemic and provides guidance for events of our magnitude, but confident that we will have a safe gathering next summer in Minneapolis. If we get to the point where we can’t have a safe event and the gathering is canceled, the deposits will be refunded, with the option for the assemblies to donate part or all of those funds to the gathering ministry or forward their 2024 gathering deposit. Visit our COVID-19 FAQ and more information.
- Don’t do it alone. Invite another trusted adult to your assembly to join you in planning and logistics!
Know that the gathering leadership is praying for you and your community as you consider attending the ELCA 2022 Youth Gathering. We know that this ministry is changing lives and enriching the youth ministry in the assembly, and we hope that your community will join us.
For more information on the 2022 reunion, visit MYLE and the table at: elca.org/Gathering.